Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
In a Chicago Car Accident? Our Team Can Help Pursue Financial Recovery.
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) reports that around 247,000 auto collisions occurred on public roads in 2020. That equates to just over 670 car accidents a day. Many crashes have devastating consequences, including serious injury or even death. In Illinois, there were 52,090 injury-causing collisions and 1,088 fatal crashes in 2020.
Harm suffered from a car accident can lead to substantial losses and expenses. If another person caused your auto collision, you should not be responsible for damages you sustained. The at-fault party should be liable. Fortunately, you can seek financial recovery by filing a personal injury case against the other driver. But doing so on your own can be challenging, as the laws and processes are complex, and you should be focusing on your healing.
At Pissetzky Law LLC, our Chicago auto collision attorneys can help you navigate your case. We have over 20 years of combined experience and have handled hundreds of legal matters. Understanding that this time can be difficult, we will provide personalized legal representation. Our team will be attentive to your needs and focus on protecting your rights and best interests. Working diligently on your behalf, we can pursue just compensation for you.
What Is the Car Accident Claims Process?
Seeking compensation after an accident requires going through several stages. You must develop a compelling argument supported by evidence. You may then file a claim with the at-fault party's insurance company.
Trying to get a payout from the insurance carrier may be hard. The company may do what it feels is necessary to protect its bottom line, which could result in a settlement offer that's lower than what your case is worth.
If you aren't able to recover fair compensation from the insurance company, you might need to take your case to court. During trial, you must present evidence to convince a judge or jury that you are owed a monetary award for damages you sustained.
Whether your case can be resolved out of court or must be brought to trial, the entire process can be overwhelming. Our Chicago car accident lawyers are here to relieve your legal burdens and some of the stresses you might be facing. We will handle the details of your case and fight for you at every stage. We will keep you updated on the progress of your and address your concerns, allowing you to make informed decisions about how we proceed.
IN THE NATIONAL TRIAL LAWYERS: TOP 100
ILLINOIS SUPER LAWYERS®
10.0 OUT OF 10.0 SUPERB AVVO RATING
NOT-GUILTY VERDICTS & CASE DISMISSALS
OVER 20 YEARS OF TRIAL-TESTED DEFENSE
How Our Chicago Auto Collision Lawyers Can Help
At Pissetzky Law LLC, our team will collect and analyze evidence, prepare a legal strategy, negotiate with insurance companies, and present your case in court. We will be your zealous advocate from beginning to end.
What Are Common Injuries Suffered in an Auto Collision?
When cars collide, the impact can cause occupants to be violently jolted and hit various surfaces of the vehicle. Injuries sustained can be serious, catastrophic, or life-threatening. They might be visible at the time of the accident (what the IDOT refers to as B-injuries), or they may not be immediately apparent but become noticeable later. The severity of the injuries will vary, with some so serious that they prevent the person from continuing their normal activities (called A-injuries by the IDOT).
Common injuries resulting from a car accident include, but are not limited to:
- Whiplash: A person can suffer whiplash if their neck is forcibly jolted back and forth. The movement strains the muscles and ligaments in the neck, causing stiffness, loss of range of motion, dizziness, headaches, and other symptoms, according to the Mayo Clinic.
- Neck and back injuries: The force of a car accident can cause herniated discs in the spine. The individual might feel numbness or tingling in their body and may have limited mobility.
- Concussions: A concussion can occur when the person's head is jolted back and forth, causing the brain to twist. It is a serious injury that can cause loss of consciousness, memory problems, decreased coordination, and speech issues, among other symptoms. A concussion can take weeks to months to heal.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs, are caused by jolts or blows to the head. They can have short- and long-term effects and, in severe cases, can lead to disability or death.
- Arm and leg injuries: Broken bones in the arms or legs are common after a car accident. In some cases, the person may need to be in a cast for a couple of months for the bone to heal properly. In others, surgery may be necessary to treat the injury. Either way, a broken bone will limit normal activity.
Treating serious or catastrophic injuries suffered in a car accident can require extensive and expensive medical care. The individual may even need physical therapy to restore body movement.
If someone else was to blame for an auto collision that caused you harm, you could seek to recover compensation for current and future medical bills. Allow our Chicago car accident attorneys to evaluate your case and determine a practical course of action.
How Much Is My Car Accident Case Worth?
The value of a car accident case depends on the facts. Every situation is different, so it would be difficult to estimate a worth without knowing the details. Factors such as the severity of your injuries and the amount of work you had to miss will affect what's considered a fair payout.
Additionally, Illinois operates under comparative negligence laws. Under this doctrine, the amount of your settlement may be reduced based on your proportion of fault for the accident. For instance, if it's determined that you were 15% at fault, you might receive an award amount of only 85% of your total damages. Also, if you were more than 50% at fault, you can be barred from recovery.
At Pissetzky Law LLC, we will evaluate the losses and expenses you sustained and comb through the facts to ensure that we seek a fair settlement on your behalf.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
When pursuing compensation after an accident, you must prove that the other party was liable. This burden requires demonstrating that the at-fault driver owed you a duty of care, breached that duty, and caused an accident resulting in damages. Building your case requires evidence.
You can take certain steps after your accident to collect evidence to support your arguments:
- Take photos and videos: If you can, record the collision scene. Be sure to get pictures or videos of the damage to your vehicle, visible injuries, and the areas surrounding the scene.
- Call the police: An officer will log their observations and statements in a report. Get a copy of the police report, as it can be used as evidence.
- Seek medical attention: Whether your injuries are visible or not, have a doctor complete a full checkup. Keep receipts and records for treatment you received and payments you made out of pocket.
- Get witness information: If anyone was around at the time of your accident, ask for their contact details. Their account of the incident can help corroborate your story.
- Get the other driver's contact information: After your accident, one of your next steps may be filing a claim with the at-fault party's insurance company. Thus, it's important to exchange details with the other driver.
- Consult with a lawyer: An attorney can let you know if you have a case and can work toward recovering compensation on your behalf. Retain legal counsel right away because the statute of limitations only gives you two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Missing the deadline could mean being barred from receiving a settlement.
How Can A Car Accident Attorney In Chicago Help You?
If you or a loved one recently got into an auto collision, it's critical to get the professional help you need. A car accident attorney will help you with several issues resulting from your accident. These may include receiving the compensation you deserve, and helping to ensure you have everything you need for recovery.
A car accident attorney can help you in the following ways:
- Negotiation: Negotiating with insurance companies on your behalf so that you receive a favorable compensation amount
- Compensation: Helping to maximize your overall compensation amount
- Support: Providing you with emotional support and reassurance
- Information: Answering any questions that you may have related to your accident and the legalities behind it
- Guidance: Guiding you through each step of the claims process and ensuring that you have all of the knowledge that you need to protect your rights and your future
- Advice: Advising you as to whether you should go to court
- Representation: Representing you in court and fighting for a favorable settlement on your behalf
- Evidence: Gathering evidence required to support your case
- Paperwork: Taking care of filing all your paperwork and ensuring that any mistakes that could potentially delay the process are prevented
Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation with our car accident attorneys in Chicago and to learn more about the many benefits that come with hiring an experienced lawyer to help you with your personal injury case. Although our attorneys have helped many individuals struggling with the claims process after an auto accident, we understand that each client and each situation is unique, and we make sure to give each case the individual attention it requires.